RE: Re: Sulfur

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Re: Sulfur
  • From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:58:37 -0700

> From: 	eemcjmks@aol.com[SMTP:eemcjmks@aol.com]
>
> let me introduce myself. I am Carole Mitchell from Lecompton,
> Kansas.  I decided to join in your conversation on the use of sulfur to
> control rot.  Does anyone use diluted household bleach or cleanser (such
> as Comet)?

	I lost a lot of iris due to complete loss of vigor and root growth
when I tried bleach, and it didn't even seem to slow the rot down.  My best
success has been scraping out all the affected stuff (of course) and digging
around it just enough to keep the affected part of the rhizome out of the
soil, then smearing on a little powdered mortar mix, cement mix, or lime
over the wound with my fingertip.  Then washing my finger to save my skin.
The alkalinity renders the cut inhospitable for foreign occupation, and the
nearby rhizome seems unaffected.  I understand this would be a bad idea for
Japanese iris.

	John Reeds, in sunny southern Calif.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/M8mxkD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM