Re: HYB: iris seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: iris seeds
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:43:29 -0500
On 24 Aug 01, at 8:25, Jan Clark wrote:

> >When I became interested in growing iris from seed, I, too,
> >followed my dad's procedure for freezing iris seed.  We have
> >discussed this before, and it is in the archives, and, believe me,
> >freezing does no harm to iris seeds.  It keeps away mold, insects,
> >and aids in the stratification process.
> Hi Walter,
> I have used this technique for 2 years in a row. Last year - heaps of
> seedlings, this year, nothing.

   The folks had an old chest type 'deep freeze' which ran for forty years
without any service.  I used that freezer until I moved to MS.  I think I have gone
through three fridges since, but I continue to use the top freezer area for freezing
my seeds.

   About your lack of germination this year, what was the weather
like?  Back in '00, I had very poor germination because we had very
little winter.  This year was the opposite because of a colder,
prolonged winter.

  What is the temperature supposed to be in a chest type freezer and
a household refrigerator freezer?

   Walter Moores
   Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Monitoring Service trial