Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:44:16 -0500

 Your example of human "seed" being frozen and
> remaining viable when thawed is excellent.  Interesting thinking.  Bill
> Shear, any comments?
> Judy Hunt in Louisville, KY, Zone 6, hoping you have a good supply of
> Bengay for your aching muscles!
   The Mallorn Archives gives thirty references for 'freezing seeds,' mainly from
1996 and 1997. There are numerous authors, but no post from Bill

   Seeds freeze in pots outdoors in January and February when
temperatures may be as low as temperatures in a freezer.  I wonder
why some people think a freezer will kill an embryo but Mother
Nature's freeze won't.  In my experience the colder the winter the
better the germination.

   Walter Moores
   Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

CLICK HERE to search