Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:11:05 +1000

<<
guess is that it would not.  Your example of human "seed" being frozen and
remaining viable when thawed is excellent.  Interesting thinking.  Bill

Bear in mind that the freezing we're talking about of human "seed" is not
done in your average freezer (which your seed would usually be done in).
Cryogenic freezing (which is more what we're talking about) involves snap
freezing something to a level where all activity ceases.  Shoving something
in your freezer takes time to freeze, thereby causing damage that would not
necessarily be done by snap freezing.

I have NO idea on the effects of freezing on iris seed (I only found out
recently on this list that you CAN successfully freeze the seed) but I
think comparing it to human embryo freezing etc is not quite the same
thing.  Just wanted to point that out.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Crocus, Cyrtanthus,
Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything else that
doesn't move!!!!!

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!