Re: HYB: Freezing pollen

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Freezing pollen
  • From: "Hensler" <christyh@povn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:11:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <lmmunro@hotmail.com>

> Talking about freezing stuff, how about if you wanted to cross an
> early bloomer with a late one? Wonder if one could freeze pollen?
> Take it from the early one, save it and pollinate the late one.
> Has anyone ever tried?

Laetitia,

Do it all the time. It's the only way to try some of the crosses I'm after.

I dry the pollen out of the sun for a few days then pop it into a film
canister with a dessicant and into the freezer it goes. It'll keep for at
least a year so very late bloomers can be crossed onto the early bloomers as
well.

Christy

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN