Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 06:24:46 -0500

> I have NO idea on the effects of freezing on iris seed (I only found out
> recently on this list that you CAN successfully freeze the seed) but I
> think comparing it to human embryo freezing etc is not quite the same
> thing.  Just wanted to point that out.
> Cheers.
> Paul Tyerman
> Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8/9

   I'm thinking some people think we are taking seed from a pod and immediately
throwing it into the freezer while the seed is still green.  That is not so.  Freezing
of iris seeds takes place only after the seeds have been dried out
and 'cured.'

  On TV news every time they have a feature on embryos or stem cell
research, etc., they show cannisters and when opened vapors rise,
which I assume come from some sort of dry ice.  I don't know.
Further, I doubt that any iris seeds have been treated thusly.
Again, I don't know.  Never visited a sperm bank, just a money bank!

  Walter Moores
  Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8