Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds
  • From: gmbeasle@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:23:05 EDT

In a message dated 8/24/01 7:27:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

>    On TV news every time they have a feature on embryos or stem cell
>  research, etc., they show cannisters and when opened vapors rise,
>  which I assume come from some sort of dry ice.

May just be because it is really really cold, and the cold air is condensing
the water vapor in the air as it hits it - like your breath shows in cold
air, only that's the other way around - the moisture in your breath condenses
in the cold air when it comes out of your body.

I have heard of using carbon dioxide or dry ice to fumigate because it will
kill any organisms like weevils etc.  Not sure what the exact procedure would

In any case, seeds from different plants are different.  Some REQUIRE
freezing to germinate.  On the other end of the scale, some require fire to
open the seed pod and sprout.  I would think most iris seeds which would have
to survive freezing 'in the wild' would be freezable if appropriate
procedures were used.  I'm not sure that tropical plant seeds would survive

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!