Re: Re: dry rhizomes

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: dry rhizomes
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:20:21 -0500

But wait, small dry-looking rhizomes are not necessarily dead, either.  I don't think much of the excuse, and I don't think I would want to order from that person/company again, BUT you may still come out o.k., in the long run at least.  Any of the long-term members of iris-talk or the old iris-l know that many people have written from time to time about discoveries of rhizomes that had been set aside and forgotten for weeks or even months.  When those rhizomes were planted they still grew and flourished, so there is still hope for these, however shriveled they look.  This must be in the archives somewhere, though I would not know what subject heading to look for.   You say you ordered them over ebay, which I would say is the lesson learned:  only order from growers dedicated to iris, growers whose names one can find in the AIS Bulletin advertisements or in ads in Regional Bulletins or through the links on the AIS webpage.  I do hope you will plant the little things you got, though; there's still a good chance they may survive and surprise.
Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250