Re: dry rhizomes

Thank u for your reply Arnold.  I have planted them.  I just expected
larger better looking plants for the price I paid.  Yes, I did learn
a lesson.     Mary Geddis

--- In iris-talk@y..., Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@m...> wrote:
> But wait, small dry-looking rhizomes are not necessarily dead,
either.  I don't think much of the excuse, and I don't think I would
want to order from that person/company again, BUT you may still come
out o.k., in the long run at least.  Any of the long-term members of
iris-talk or the old iris-l know that many people have written from
time to time about discoveries of rhizomes that had been set aside
and forgotten for weeks or even months.  When those rhizomes were
planted they still grew and flourished, so there is still hope for
these, however shriveled they look.  This must be in the archives
somewhere, though I would not know what subject heading to look
for.   You say you ordered them over ebay, which I would say is the
lesson learned:  only order from growers dedicated to iris, growers
whose names one can find in the AIS Bulletin advertisements or in ads
in Regional Bulletins or through the links on the AIS webpage.  I do
hope you will plant the little things you got, though; there's still
a good chance they may survive and surprise.
> Arnold
>
> Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
> 38 7th Street, NE
> Sioux Center, IA 51250