RE: dry rhizomes

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] dry rhizomes
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:59:52 +1000

>> Have a ??, received an iris order by mail today, iris were thin and
>>  Along with the order was a note
>>"smaller, leaner and dryer rhizomes better withstand extreme
>>"  Never heard of this before, never received such sad

There has been numerous discussions on this list about the fact that big
lush healthy rhizomes rot far quicker than the smaller drier sources.  I
know there were "complaints" about a supplier a while back which I think
eventually resulted in people finding that they came from a semi-arid
region and therefore that was their growing style there.

Before you slam Ebay for what it sells....... remember that nothing has
been mentioned here about WHERE they came from.  If they are from a hot
area then the rhizomes WILL be smaller and drier.  I am SURE that I have
heard on this forum before that the fleshier rhizomes are more likely to
rot when taken to other areas, so perhaps the person selling on Ebay was
actually trying to do the right thing and provide rhizomes that were going
to perform the best possible for any recipients.  Less moisture, less
chances of rotting whatever the purchasers conditions.

I just wanted to add this to the discussion before the recipient of the
rhizomes thinks that she has been the victim of "foisting" as it was said
earlier.  The seller may have been trying to do the best by the recipient.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Crocus, Cyrtanthus,
Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything else that
doesn't move!!!!!

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!