Re: Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:24:30 -0500

Please forgive what may seem to be, depending on how you take them, petulant or impertinent or silly or foolish questions from a person who is not into or interesting in doing hybridizing, but for the life of me I can't understand why one would want to go to the trouble, expense and extra time of something like having to use liquid nitrogen to freeze your seeds.  Why do this when so many, it seems, have great success without resorting to all that?  Why do this when the way seeds are treated in nature certainly doesn't involve such procedures?  Why isn't a method good enough or even more preferable that imitates as nearly as feasible the natural state of what happens when a seed ripens, falls to the ground, and in time, as winter comes, gradually gets cold and (if you live far enough north) freezes and stays that way for a while, then warms up and begins to grow?  I read of high germination rates from several of you who don't resort to such elaborate procedures and then wonder why anyone would want to or feel compelled to do more.  I don't mean this to be critical or offensive; just trying to understand.
Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250