Re: Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:00:33 -0500

 I read of high germination rates from several of you who don't
> resort to such elaborate procedures and then wonder why anyone would want
> to or feelArnold
>
> Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
> 38 7th Street, NE
> Sioux Center, IA 51250
> e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net

   Arnold, I think I stated in an earlier post why I freeze my iris seeds.

   I live in a very humid, buggy climate, and if I don't freeze them, mold
or insects attack them before I can get them into the ground in the
fall.

    Many times, our winter is so mild hardly anything germinates, so
the stratification the seeds get in the freezer helps in that
department.

    I can tell no difference in the types of freezers.  I have used
the chest type and the modern frost-free types with no ill effects to
the seeds.  We have had power failures in the winter because of ice
storms and the freezer has been off for hours.  Again, no ill effects
have been noted.  If a power failure extended into days, then I would
remove the contents of the freezer, including iris seeds and set them
outside in the cold.  I should add that my seeds are  thoroughly
dried before they are stored in pill bottles and placed in a box like
a shoe box and then into the freezer.

    In nature, seeds are going to go through the freeze/thaw cycle
many times before winter is over, and a power failure would be like
such a cycle.

   Anyway, whatever works for a hybridizer and whatever he is
comfortable with,  he should continue doing.  I doubt that I would go
as far as using liquid nitrogen since the regular freezer has been
good to me and never let me down in about thirty-five years of
freezing iris seeds.

   Walter Moores
   Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

FREE COLLEGE MONEY