Re: Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:24:08 +1000

Arnold wrote:
>for the life of me I can't understand why one would want to go to the
>trouble, expense and extra time of something like having to use liquid
>nitrogen to freeze your seeds.  Why do this when so many, it seems, have
>great success without resorting to all that?  Why do this when the way
>seeds are treated in nature certainly doesn't involve such procedures?

I don't think your comment is petulent or silly Arnold.
I think the whole idea arose from the comparison of human 'seeds' with iris
seeds. The mistake seems to be that someone has forgotten that the purpose
of freezing iris seeds is in order to break dormancy, not as a means of
storage. Human embryo's or semen, will not last very long at all, if stored
at room temperature, but do not need to break dormancy.
Iris seeds will last years, and certainly don't need storing in liquid
nitrogen. Apart from all else, the stuff is dangerous to handle, and fairly
Cheers, Jan Clark,
Australia, zone 9 soon to be zone 8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!