Re: Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Freezing Iris Seeds
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 21:44:18 -0500

>The mistake seems to be that someone has forgotten that the purpose
>of freezing iris seeds is in order to break dormancy, not as a means of
>storage.

I didn't forget.  My thought was to bring them out of storage as viable
seeds in the green state, rather than the dried state.  If, as has been
suggested, planting seeds from the green state improves the germination,
then being able to time the planting of those seeds would be helpful.  I
have found it difficult to grow seedlings during the winter months, so the
idea is appealing to be able to plant them so they germinate at the normal
time in spring and skip trying to handle them during the winter months.
That would be providing planting green seeds proves to be effective on
increased germination rates, of course.  Liquid nitrogen, as Paul and Sandy
pointed out, freezes something instantly without the effects of a slower
freeze.  So what I was wondering about would, in effect, be a seed that had
never been allowed to dry out at all.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA