Re: RE:HYB: Freezing Iris Seed

  • Subject: Re: RE:HYB: Freezing Iris Seed
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 04:59:25 -0000

Your winters sound like ours, Chad.  That's why it's seemed wise to
at least try the freezer for a month or so, in case they like some
freezing.  The outdoors in our usual winters is very similar to
refrigerator temperatures, so transferring them to a somewhat
protected place in late winter -- a cold frame of concrete blocks,
covered by screens -- should give them the winters they will have in
following years.  The Northwest usually has plenty of winter rain,
but I intend to monitor them and spray with water if the potting soil
gets too dry.

I know people have said they should be moist in the
refrigerator/freezer, but I can't rid myself of the worry that
they'll rot, so I'm trying this way first.

This sure is a project that takes lots of patience, isn't it?

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8-9

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Schroter, Chad" <chad_schroter@m...> wrote:
> 	Some Notes on 'freezing seeds' from various readings and
experience.

> 	Stratification is successful when temperatures are below 40
degrees
> F, so freezing is not necessary.
>
> 	Seeds need to be protected from the drying effects of the
> refrigerator/freezer so should be bagged in plastic with a small
amount of
> barely moist sterile mix - like sphagnum moss.
>
> 	A regular frost free freezer is not recommended due to the
alternate
> freeze/defrost cycles apparently, a chest type (old style) freezer
is OK
> however.
>
> 	The best results for me have been outdoors in the shade
(until early
> Spring), exposed to our frequent winter rains and nighttime temps
in the
> high 30's/ low 40's (Zone 9). Where rain is scant pouring near
freezing
> water over the seed pots is supposed to be beneficial, the seed
coats
> contain germination inhibitors which slowly wash away over time.
>
> Chad Schroter
> Los Gatos CA Zone 9

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search