Re: CULT: trace elements

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: trace elements
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:58:26 -0500

> Thanks, Walter.  I have read many mentions of trace elements on this list,
> but I am unfamiliar with such things.  Are trace elements something one
> can find at a garden center or feed store?  Are there specific brand names
> or formulations that are preferable for application to irises?
> Laurie
> -----------------
> laurief@paulbunyan.net
> http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/
> zone 3b northern MN - clay soil
    I cannot add much to this discussion.  I have seen bags of expensive fertilizer
with the wording, "Contains Trace Elements."  Some have a listing.  But, you can
also find the trace elements packaged individually in little one or
two pound bags.  How do you know what trace elements are missing in
your soil?  I don't know the answer to that either because the soil
sample kits and tests check for ph.  Some swear by epsom salt to
prevent such maladies described earlier, and I cannot attest to that
either.  Unless these maladies become more widespread in a particular
garden, it might be better just to leave them alone until somebody
comes up with a test for trace element deficiencies.  You don't want
to damage your soil with over-application of something that is not

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

The Nissan Sentra
Everything but compact