Re: CULT: trace elements

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: trace elements
  • From: "Jim Gibbons" <gibbman6@home.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 14:21:17 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <gmbeasle@aol.com>
To: <iris-talk@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 1:06 PM

> In a message dated 8/26/01 12:24:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> laurief@paulbunyan.net writes:
> >
> >  Thanks, Walter.  I have read many mentions of trace elements on this
> >  list, but I am unfamiliar with such things.  Are trace elements
> >  one can find at a garden center or feed store?
> Trace elements are elements like zinc, copper, iron, sodium, calcium,
> that you just find really small amounts (traces) in whatever medium you
> talking about, be it soil or blood or whatever.  A lot of times these
> elements are needed in very small amounts for proper growth.  For example,
> sometimes if there's not enough iron in the soil, plants get yellowish.
> you add some.
> There is a material known as greensand, which I believe is technically
known as glauconite.  You can get it in more garden centers with more
complete inventories. It is a mined mineral compound, I think from ancient
seabeds. It contains around 30 trace elements (microingredients), in
addition to a decent dash of phosphate. I use it whenever I do a new bed, or
plant something by itself, in pretty small amounts, which is good, because
it isn't cheap. But a little does go a long way. Seems like good insurance
to me.

Jim Gibbons
NC Coast, Zone 8a and sandy

CLICK HERE to search