Re: AIS: checklist

  • Subject: Re: AIS: checklist
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 18:54:37 -0400

There seems to still be some miscommunication about the effort to get
the checklist into digital form. Iris Moose, your post gave me the
impression that you view the digital checklist as synonymous with the
AIS's international role as keeper of the names of irises.  Maybe some
day that will be true, but for now (unless I slept thru something else
like I slept thru John Jones winding up on the AIS Bored of Directors),
the existing checklists (the official printed ones, the ones that
satisfy the international rules etc) are being put in digital format by
people who want to be able to use the data.  John Jones asked what
format those of us who wanted the data would like to have.  I want to
have it in digital form so I can track pedigrees.  Others want it to cut
and paste information into catalogs & their own databases.  None of this
(currently) has anything to do with the registrar, who still is
perfectly happy with paper, other than getting his, and AIS's blessing
for ripping off their work and giving it away to people who may not even
be AIS members.

So the volunteers are mostly/all people who want to be able to use the
data, not those interested in keeping internation nomenclature on track.

At least I think that's the way it is....

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!