Re: AIS: checklist

  • Subject: Re: AIS: checklist
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 18:55:47 -0400

There seems to still be some miscommunication about the effort to get
the checklist into digital form.

Iris Moose, your post gave me the impression that you view the digital
checklist as synonymous with the AIS's international role as keeper of
the names of irises.  Maybe some day that will be true, but for now
(unless I slept thru something else like I slept thru John Jones winding
up on the AIS Bored of Directors), the existing checklists (the official
printed ones, the ones that satisfy the international rules etc) are
being put in digital format by people who want to be able to use the
data.  John Jones asked what format those of us who wanted the data
would like to have.  I want to have it in digital form so I can track
pedigrees.  Others want it to cut and paste information into catalogs &
their own databases.  None of this (currently) has anything to do with
the registrar, who still is perfectly happy with paper, other than
getting his, and AIS's blessing for ripping off their work and giving it
away to people who may not even be AIS members.

So the volunteers are mostly/all people who want to be able to use the
data, not those interested in keeping international nomenclature on

At least I think that's the way it is....

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!