Re: Re: AIS: checklist

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: AIS: checklist
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:34:48 -0700

Linda Mann wrote:
> ....  None of this
> (currently) has anything to do with the registrar, who still is
> perfectly happy with paper, other than getting his, and AIS's blessing
> for ripping off their work and giving it away to people who may not even
> be AIS members.

A valid viewpoint.

Another is that the results of volunteer work should be free to the
greatest extent possible, unless it results in significant loss of
income for AIS. The registrar does not make a penny from his work,
and neither do the people digitizing the data. If anyone is ripped off,
it is AIS as a whole, not the dedicated volunteers doing the work.

The information is important, and it is copyrighted by the AIS.
The society can choose how it is to be distributed. There is
no question about that. If we disagree, it is about which
direction we should nudge the AIS about future availability
of the data.

I share your wish that all users of the data be AIS members.

Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP
in warm, winterless Los Angeles--USDA 9b-ish, Sunset 18-19

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!