Re: Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results
  • From: storylade@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 19:51:23 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/01 11:48:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

<< Anything else?  Am I too picky? >>

Walter, I think we each have rules by which we judge these things.  You're
not too picky.  Some of the things you mention bother me, but others don't.

I've ordered from all but 3 of the suppliers listed, and I've not had a bad
experience with any of them.  I would prefer that some give better (read
more) bonuses but that doesn't really stop me if I want something they offer.

I am impressed (positively) with healthy, solid, and clean (though I
understand when there is a restriction on water as Sterling Innerst
experienced many years ago during a drought--and others I'm sure) irises.
Most aesthetic things are negotiable . . . but I don't really like newspaper
as filler, shredded or otherwise.  I do know it's often the only thing at
hand, especially with a trade.  (Who can complain with these?)

I prefer middle of the road rhizomes, neither too small or too large.  The
very small rhizomes leave some questions in my mind.  I am also impressed,
though badly, by irises that appear to have been out of the ground for a
month or contain obvious disease or damage.  I don't care for irises that
appear to have been rinsed in very muddy water--I would prefer a little
garden loam clinging to the roots than the layer of mud.  I know this last
has no baring on the quality of the rhizomes, but ... it's a personal thing.

I also don't like suppliers to change the terms of sale after I order, and
without telling me. Fairly early in my iris experiences, one iris person
advertised 9 assorted rhizomes (names attached) for something like $29.00 and
then sent only 7 with the explanation that "It's been a bad year."

To return to the question of "bonus" plants.  I suspect most of us are
spoiled to receiving "good" bonuses.  For me, summer is my real Christmas!  I
never know what surprises lurk in those boxes.  Well, . . . sometimes I do .
. . sorta!  I'm not above asking for what I want.  And I do like for people
to pay attention, IF they've asked me to make suggestions.

Monty B. spoiled me on bonuses years ago.  I didn't spend much on irises at
that time and would not have considered spending $30.00 to $35.00 which I
think was the going price for a "new" iris.  He'd have you list the ones you
wanted, with your most preferred at the top.  Then he went down your list
until he felt you had all the bonuses you deserved, or that he could give.

As a supplier, if everyone else gives good bonuses, you stand out if you
don't.

Betty . . . gingerly stepping off the soap box in Bowling Green KY Zone 7
where it's starting to rain again.  No rebloom so far (except Baby Blessed) .
. . although I've reports there is plenty of rebloom in Summerset KY, several
miles to the east.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!