Re: Cult: TBS: Rot

Pat, my husband and I are busy incorporating loads of silt and compost into my new iris bed.  We will mix it with our rich, heavy clay soil.  I do plant on raised rows, but I found they must not be over a couple of inches high or the roots will overheat leading to more pineappling and bloom out problems.  The problem is to keep irises alive and thriving through five months of above 100 degree temperatures.  The amazing thing is that so many do it, not that a few don't.
Francelle Edwards,  Glendale, AZ  Zone Hot!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: patsiris@aol.com
  To: iris-talk@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 8:11 PM
  Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Cult: TBS: Rot

  Francelle,   I don't remember where you live or what type of soil you have.
  If heavy,
  you might try raised rows like growing corn and incorporating bark mulch for
  drainage.   This has helped me, where we have heavy black clay.
      The first rain of any consequence we have had since June came last week
  and I
  haven't seen any problems yet.   I water with soaker hoses in the troughs
  between
  the rows.                                           Pat in Dallas

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!