Re: Re:Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re:Seeds
  • From: "Colleen Modra" <irises@senet.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 20:05:23 +1000

Jan
I use the cistern to soak my seeds, mostly TB's. It's simply the easiest way
I know of doing 100 or so crosses at one time. Our winters are variable, so
I soak, and chill in the fridge. I get two rounds of gernimation, one from
the initial planting and  a second one about now. However I have more time
to deal with my seedlings early in winter and if I pick them out soon after
they germinate they are better established before our very hot summers. From
the beginning of Oct onwards we are so frantically busy, that if the season
turns hot suddenly (as it did last year) I can lose a lot of seedlings. For
me, in our climate, the earlier my seeds germinate the better.

Colleen Modra
South Aust