RE: Re: AIS: checklist

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Re: AIS: checklist
  • From: "Iris Moose" <irismoose@daylily.net>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:26:43 -0400

Interesting...

I thought this topic had died, especially when my message a week ago went by
without a response.  Tonight I see that Linda and Gerry mention it again.

I hope no one takes whatever I say as a personal attack.  I am speaking in
general terms and have no intention to belittle anyone.  Sincerely.

There is a massive misunderstanding and lack of knowledge concerning what
the responsibilities are of being an ICRA (International Cultivar
Registration Authority).  I asked several questions the other day...one of
them being "Which AIS directors are familiar with the International Code of
Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants?"  How many AIS directors even own a copy
of the International Code Of Nomenclature For Cultivate Plants 1995, the
book which details AIS's role as the ICRA for Iris?

When the directors approved the digitizing of the Registration data they
basically approved and but did not support it.  I say this because I am
reading about volunteers being turned down to help because they do not have
a copy of one of the printed books.  If the directors supported this project
then surely AIS could have given the project a set of books that could have
been torn apart and the appropriate pages mailed to people to assist.  This
might have cost the Society $100 but the job might already have been
completed.  Also, if the directors were familiar with current discussions
relating to the digitizing of Registration records, they may have approached
the project quite differently.

The XXVIth International Horticultural Congress will meet in Toronto in
2002.  The last Congress met in Scotland in 1998 and the topic of electronic
checklists was on everyone's tongue.  Did you know that the next edition of
the "Code" will be issued in 2003?

From HORTAX News Vol.1, No.5:  "After the Edinburgh symposium, the IUBS
Commission for the Nomenclature of Cultivated plants met in closed session
to consider amendments for the Cultivated Plant Code.  I can reveal that it
was resolved that there will be no mention of the term "culton", nor indeed
will the word "taxon" appear: the next edition will remove much botanical
jargon in an effort to become even more user-friendly for those
non-toxonomists that the "Code" is designed to serve."

Gerry, did you know that AIS  as the ICRA maintains the registration record
of Iris for everyone on this planet...not just for the sole use and benefit
of AIS members?  Also, the format of the R & I's is copyrighted but the data
is not.  AIS can not claim the data belongs to them solely.  Fifty different
people can produce fifty different CD-Rom versions of the same data but
formatted differently and sell them all day long.  There is no copyright
infringement there.

I think this will be my last message on this topic.  I will continue to read
if others continue this thread but I feel I have said all I care to say
about this topic.  I am really interested in discussing reblooming iris.  I
also had a blast in the chat room the other night and enjoyed talking with
Gerry and John.  And we never even discussed this topic.  It was fun.

Thank you.  I hope everyone has a great week!

Iris Moose
Wake Forest, NC
http://daylily.net/irismoose/

FREE COLLEGE MONEY