Re: Re: AIS: checklist

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: AIS: checklist
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 19:53:33 -0700

Iris Moose wrote:
> Interesting...
> I thought this topic had died, especially when my message a week ago went by
> without a response.  Tonight I see that Linda and Gerry mention it again.
> I hope no one takes whatever I say as a personal attack.  I am speaking in
> general terms and have no intention to belittle anyone.  Sincerely.

Agreed. We all have the best interest of irisdom in our hearts. No

> Gerry, did you know that AIS  as the ICRA maintains the registration record
> of Iris for everyone on this planet...not just for the sole use and benefit
> of AIS members?

Uh, yes. I don't think anyone on the planet has pushed harder
than I have for openness of the data.

> Also, the format of the R & I's is copyrighted but the data
> is not.  AIS can not claim the data belongs to them solely.  Fifty different
> people can produce fifty different CD-Rom versions of the same data but
> formatted differently and sell them all day long.  There is no copyright
> infringement there.

I bet many lawyers might make claims about "derivative works," but I am
not a lawyer.

> I think this will be my last message on this topic.

Coward.   The battle is just beginning.    ;-)

I agree that discussions of iris are more fun than quasi-legalistic

Keep us on the straight and narrow, Moose!!

Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP
in warm, winterless Los Angeles--USDA 9b-ish, Sunset 18-19

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!