Re: AIS Checklist

  • Subject: Re: AIS Checklist
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:28:12 -0400

<I share your wish that all users of the data be AIS members.  Gerry>

Oops, no, that's not what I meant.  I think data (AIS & other kinds of
data) should be freely available to anybody, aside from the cost of
disseminating the data.  When I said <and AIS's blessing for ripping off
their work> I meant that AIS as an organization has been keeping the
iris names of the world (universe?) straight since...whenever... the
1920s? So we reap the benefit of all that work.  & it's nice to have the
AIS board of directors facilitating our access to the data (i.e.,
ripping them off was intended as humor, but once again, I think I messed
up).  Apologies again (?)

I knew AIS was in charge of all the iris names in the world.  Seems like
I remember Clarence Mahan writing something about the Horticultural
Congress the last time they met, but maybe not.

Iris Moose wrote:
<There is a massive misunderstanding and lack of knowledge concerning
the responsibilities are of being an ICRA (International Cultivar
Registration Authority).  I asked several questions the other day...one
them being "Which AIS directors are familiar with the International Code
Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants?"  How many AIS directors even own a
of the International Code Of Nomenclature For Cultivate Plants 1995, the

book which details AIS's role as the ICRA for Iris?>

I'm not sure why you say there is a massive misunderstanding and lack of
knowledge.  Because most of the folks on this discussion forum don't
care about it & the ones that do (if there are any) didn't answer?  Or
are you saying this is something most of us should know about?  Fill me
in - why should I care?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!