Re: Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results
  • From: John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:22:24 -0700

wmoores wrote:
> In addition to the extras, Fred Kerr mentioned, here are some other
> factors that might have affected the survey.

>     Toe of rhizome cut to a smooth slice or just broken off.

This brings up an interesting question. I remember a prevoius discussion
on the list about whether we should snap off spent bloom stalks or slice
them off. A comment made by Bill Shear was that snapping the bloom stalk
broke it off along cell boundaries, while cutting it sliced through
cells thus leaving the plant more susceptible to disease.

I wonder if the same might not apply to separating rhizomes?

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
Vice Chairman, Region 14 of the AIS