Re: Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 06:35:04 -0500
On 26 Aug 01, at 22:22, John Jones wrote:

. A comment made by Bill Shear was that snapping the bloom stalk
> broke it off along cell boundaries, while cutting it sliced through cells
> thus leaving the plant more susceptible to disease.
> I wonder if the same might not apply to separating rhizomes?

  This may be true.  But in the snapping out of rhizomes, you can
uproot clumps and you can snap out unseen increase from the base of
the bloomstalk.  I continue to cut.

   Cutting or breaking off rhizomes from the toe of the mother
rhizome has not been a growth deterrent at transplant.  The 'cutting
and shaping' of the toe is simply a cosmetic thing and would be done
only for shipping or at sales.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

CLICK HERE to search