Re: Re: TB: RE Cult & seedst

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: TB: RE Cult & seedst
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:24:41 -0400

 From: <cgdawn@cs.com>

> Hi Mike,
> I think you said the magic word when you said "lots of compost at
> planting time".  What kind do you use and what about the fear of rot
> with the compost?  My soil is very sandy and it just don't seem to
> have any "umph".  It's called river bottom top soil but it just don't
> hold any water at all and has no growing power.  Any info is greatly
> appreciated.
> Dean Gray

I have 4 compost bins that hold 25 cubic feet per bin. 25 % yard waste and
75 % mulched leaves from my yard and imported.
I have clay soil and have added 20% river sand with the compost. The sand
was a one time thing. I have about 125 bearded and have 4 cases of rot this
year and 2 last year. I only lost the main fan on all of those. I have
raised beds made of 2" X 6" treated   lumber. This gives me good drainage.

Before I had enough compost I added spagnum peat in the square bales. I
tried alfalfa pelets and saw no great improvement.
I compost my iris leaves to. I have a little leaf spot when we have a lot of
I know I am doing a lot of " wrong" things but it works for me.

The Magic Words    FOOD- WATER-LIGHT  the right amount for iris makes them

My wife ask me the other day " Are you going to take over the whole yard
with Iris"   Hmmm I thought I had, mabe I should plant more.

Mike Greenfield
SW OH Zone 5b, USA

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!