Re: Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results
  • From: Abby Evans <amogenvans@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 08:38:56 -0700 (PDT)

> I always break them off.  But once a rhizome has been treated with
> disinfectant, fungicide, etc., and dried off for shipment, the chance of
> disease infecting through the callus is probably very small.  So it may
> matter only to the grower, who might lose a few customers who like to
> see
> clean cuts, or vice versa.
>

> Bill Shear

 Is it common practice to treat before shipment? The reason I ask is that
I placed my first order with a grower in Oregon. Not knowing it was a good
idea to soak in bleach water or dry a week or two before planting in my
area, I planted the day they arrived, as is. I had such a bad feeling
about it that I lifted them three days later intending to raise the bed
they were in higher. There proved to be a good reason for the 'bad
feeling'...6 of the 7 were molding and rotting at the site of the cut on
the rhizome. I think plain old garden 'root rot' was responsible
(actually, heavy soil, lack of raised 'ridges' in the raised bed, and
slightly too deep was responsible...meaning ME), but it seemed awfully
fast for so much damage. If they had been treated before shipment, would
this have happened? I also wondered about cut/vs break (these were cut) It
was really rather discouraging, but I'm stubborn, and Greg was a big help
with info for Tn. culture. All 7 are still alive after treatment...so far.

Abby Mogensen Evans, zone 6a/b Tn, who's husband seeded the new iris bed
with green-matter and weeds when he mowed the lawn. :(

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!