Re: TB: RE Cult & seedst

  • Subject: Re: TB: RE Cult & seedst
  • From: cgdawn@cs.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:27:12 -0000

-Thanks Mike for your input-----I don't have my own compost pile but
will see if I can't buy some really good compost at a nursery down
the highway a bit.  I will be very carefull that it is really aged
and not "hot".  Meanwhile, I'm adding a lot of good top soil to the
bed.  Thanks again and may the Iris Angel smile upon you!!!!

Regards, Dean Gray
Zone 5, just south of St. Louis, Mo.

- In iris-talk@y..., "Mike Greenfield" <redear@i...> wrote:
>  From: <cgdawn@c...>
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > I think you said the magic word when you said "lots of compost at
> > planting time".  What kind do you use and what about the fear of
> > with the compost?  My soil is very sandy and it just don't seem to
> > have any "umph".  It's called river bottom top soil but it just
> > hold any water at all and has no growing power.  Any info is
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Dean Gray
> I have 4 compost bins that hold 25 cubic feet per bin. 25 % yard
waste and
> 75 % mulched leaves from my yard and imported.
> I have clay soil and have added 20% river sand with the compost.
The sand
> was a one time thing. I have about 125 bearded and have 4 cases of
rot this
> year and 2 last year. I only lost the main fan on all of those. I
> raised beds made of 2" X 6" treated   lumber. This gives me good
> Before I had enough compost I added spagnum peat in the square
bales. I
> tried alfalfa pelets and saw no great improvement.
> I compost my iris leaves to. I have a little leaf spot when we have
a lot of
> rain.
> I know I am doing a lot of " wrong" things but it works for me.
> The Magic Words    FOOD- WATER-LIGHT  the right amount for iris
makes them
> grow.
> My wife ask me the other day " Are you going to take over the whole
> with Iris"   Hmmm I thought I had, mabe I should plant more.
> Mike Greenfield
> redear@i...
> SW OH Zone 5b, USA

CLICK HERE to search