Re: TB: RE Cult & seedst

  • Subject: Re: TB: RE Cult & seedst
  • From: cgdawn@cs.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:40:37 -0000

Thanks for your input Mike- I don't have a compost pile but maybe I
can buy some really good compost at the nursery down the highway a
bit.  I will have to be very carefull that it is really aged and not
still "hot".  Meanwhile, I'm adding good top soil to the bed.  Thanks
again, Mike and may the Iris Angel smile upon you.

Regards, Dean Gray
Zone 5, just So. of St. Louis, Mo.

-- In iris-talk@y..., "Mike Greenfield" <redear@i...> wrote:

>  From: <cgdawn@c...>
>

> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > I think you said the magic word when you said "lots of compost at
> > planting time".  What kind do you use and what about the fear of
rot
> > with the compost?  My soil is very sandy and it just don't seem to
> > have any "umph".  It's called river bottom top soil but it just
don't
> > hold any water at all and has no growing power.  Any info is
greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Dean Gray
>
> I have 4 compost bins that hold 25 cubic feet per bin. 25 % yard
waste and
> 75 % mulched leaves from my yard and imported.
> I have clay soil and have added 20% river sand with the compost.
The sand
> was a one time thing. I have about 125 bearded and have 4 cases of
rot this
> year and 2 last year. I only lost the main fan on all of those. I
have
> raised beds made of 2" X 6" treated   lumber. This gives me good
drainage.

> Before I had enough compost I added spagnum peat in the square
bales. I
> tried alfalfa pelets and saw no great improvement.
> I compost my iris leaves to. I have a little leaf spot when we have
a lot of
> rain.
> I know I am doing a lot of " wrong" things but it works for me.
>
> The Magic Words    FOOD- WATER-LIGHT  the right amount for iris
makes them
> grow.
>
> My wife ask me the other day " Are you going to take over the whole
yard
> with Iris"   Hmmm I thought I had, mabe I should plant more.
>

> Mike Greenfield
> redear@i...
> SW OH Zone 5b, USA

FREE COLLEGE MONEY