CULT: Snapping and cutting, slicing and dicing, this little wonder does it all!!!iers - Results

  • Subject: CULT: Snapping and cutting, slicing and dicing, this little wonder does it all!!!iers - Results
  • From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:04:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com> wrote:
> wmoores wrote:
> >

> > In addition to the extras, Fred Kerr mentioned, here
> are some other
> > factors that might have affected the survey.
> >
> >     Toe of rhizome cut to a smooth slice or just broken
> off.
> This brings up an interesting question. I remember a
> prevoius discussion
> on the list about whether we should snap off spent bloom
> stalks or slice
> them off. A comment made by Bill Shear was that snapping
> the bloom stalk
> broke it off along cell boundaries, while cutting it
> sliced through
> cells thus leaving the plant more susceptible to disease.
> I wonder if the same might not apply to separating
> rhizomes?
> John

   V. sez:
   I bring rhizomes to four different club sales, plus our
regional. If I am digging the whole clump, I snap. If I am
just digging one rhizome out and leaving the rest of the
clump in the ground, I cut. I haven't heard of
complaints/problems with these rhizomes, regardless of
method. The remainder of the clump does not appear to be
more susceptable to rot one way or another, but our hot dry
summers may have something to do with this.

Vince Lewonski
Secane, Pennsylvania, USA Zone 6b
"Mary had a little lamb
Its fleece electrostatic