Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results

  • Subject: Re: CAT: Survey of Iris Suppliers - Results
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 02:10:44 -0000

Perfect segue, Storylady, for me to give another big thanks to a
supplier.

I placed a sizable order to Spanish Fork this year (their early
catalog made them early on my list of orders.)  I received the order
in good shape and time and was fully satisfied.  I can't really say
whether I got extras from them or not.  I don't really look at extras
as anything but the bonuses they really are, although I do share that
oooh, what did I get? frame of mind when an order arrives,
particularly from those super-generous suppliers we all know and love.

Today I got a tantalizing box from Darlene Pinegar of Spanish Fork,
who said that in reviewing her records, she doesn't think they sent
any bonuses.  So the box contained their 2001 intro I most lusted
after, looking perfect for my pink-irises-with-pastel-beards
hybridizing goal, which I must have mentioned, though I don't
remember doing so.  I was thrilled.

If you're not familiar with Spanish Fork Iris Gardens, be sure to
order their next catalog, at 40 So. 200 West, Spanish Fork, UT 84660.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA

--- In iris-talk@y..., storylade@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 8/25/01 11:48:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
> wmoores@w... writes:
>
> << Anything else?  Am I too picky? >>
>
> Walter, I think we each have rules by which we judge these things.
You're
> not too picky.  Some of the things you mention bother me, but
others don't.

> I've ordered from all but 3 of the suppliers listed, and I've not
had a bad
> experience with any of them.  I would prefer that some give better
(read
> more) bonuses but that doesn't really stop me if I want something
they offer.

> I am impressed (positively) with healthy, solid, and clean (though
> understand when there is a restriction on water as Sterling Innerst
> experienced many years ago during a drought--and others I'm sure)
irises.
> Most aesthetic things are negotiable . . . but I don't really like
newspaper
> as filler, shredded or otherwise.  I do know it's often the only
thing at
> hand, especially with a trade.  (Who can complain with these?)
>
> I prefer middle of the road rhizomes, neither too small or too
large.  The
> very small rhizomes leave some questions in my mind.  I am also
impressed,
> though badly, by irises that appear to have been out of the ground
for a
> month or contain obvious disease or damage.  I don't care for
irises that
> appear to have been rinsed in very muddy water--I would prefer a
little
> garden loam clinging to the roots than the layer of mud.  I know
this last
> has no baring on the quality of the rhizomes, but ... it's a
personal thing.

> I also don't like suppliers to change the terms of sale after I
order, and
> without telling me. Fairly early in my iris experiences, one iris
person
> advertised 9 assorted rhizomes (names attached) for something like
$29.00 and
> then sent only 7 with the explanation that "It's been a bad year."
>
> To return to the question of "bonus" plants.  I suspect most of us
are
> spoiled to receiving "good" bonuses.  For me, summer is my real
Christmas!  I
> never know what surprises lurk in those boxes.  Well, . . .
sometimes I do .
> . . sorta!  I'm not above asking for what I want.  And I do like
for people
> to pay attention, IF they've asked me to make suggestions.
>
> Monty B. spoiled me on bonuses years ago.  I didn't spend much on
irises at
> that time and would not have considered spending $30.00 to $35.00
which I
> think was the going price for a "new" iris.  He'd have you list the
ones you
> wanted, with your most preferred at the top.  Then he went down
your list
> until he felt you had all the bonuses you deserved, or that he
could give.

> As a supplier, if everyone else gives good bonuses, you stand out
if you
> don't.
>
> Betty . . . gingerly stepping off the soap box in Bowling Green KY
Zone 7
> where it's starting to rain again.  No rebloom so far (except Baby
Blessed) .
> . . although I've reports there is plenty of rebloom in Summerset
KY, several
> miles to the east.

Learn Trading Tips the Professional Traders Use!
Free Newsletter from Optionetics.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/q1ufhB/ZR9CAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM