CAT: Remember that Bonus Irises are FREE

  • Subject: CAT: Remember that Bonus Irises are FREE
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:47:58 +1000

Howdy All,

I find it most amusing that people are complaining about the quality of the
bonus irises and that they "do not get enough bonuses" from certain
supppliers.  Sounds like some of us have been spoilt rotten and don't know
a good thing when they've got it <grin>.

Irises are the only category which seems to have such a bunch of Generous
suppliers.  I get all sorts of bulbs and perennials and a few of them
provide some freebies for a large order, but with the iris growers here in
Australia at least you nearly always get something for free, even with a
small order.  Whatever freebies you DO get they are always in much larger
amounts than for any other types of plants.  Sounds like this happens in
the US as well (and I figure that the reason it happens here is because it
was "entrenched" in iris society before the iris nurseries started here in

I know that getting value for money is important, but not buying from
someone because they don't give you enough free stuff means that you REALLY
need to get your priorities straight.  Be thankful that you DO get free
stuff, as now-a-days that isn't a common occurrence.

I had to add this to the discussion just to remind people that these things
ARE free and you aren't payign for them (although you probably are because
the prices of all the other irises would be inflated to cover the costs of
the extras that are REQUIRED by the purchasers).  I think by the sound of
it they are no longer "bonuses" but are rather "required extras".

Yeah I realise I'll cop some flack for saying this on the list, but I
really felt it should be said.  I don't agree with people sending inferior
stuff as extras... but as they are FREE then they shouldn't be complained

I think it is probably best that those who wish to take me to task for this
email send them to me privately at my email address (rather than to the
list) as I doubt that everyone wants this tangent of the topic to continue
for too long.

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Crocus, Cyrtanthus,
Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything else that
doesn't move!!!!!

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!