Re: Walking Iris Seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Walking Iris Seeds
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:19:47 -0400

On 8/27/01 6:13 PM, "mamaparker@home.com" <mamaparker@home.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> This is my first post to this group.  I would like to know if anyone
> has the germination information for seeds of Neomarica caerulea.  I
> have aquired a few seeds and would like to try to get them growing.
> I am in zone 5.  I know they are only hardy in zones 9 & 10.  Any
> tips would really be appreciated.

As a tropical plant, Neomarica caerulea seeds germinate easily at any time.
I grew some from SIGNA a few years ago and had no trouble.  Keep them moist
and give gentle heat from beneath.

Which reminds me: in the spring I offered to send Neomarica caerulea seeds
when they matured, which they now have done.  Anyone interested can get some
by sending along a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

Neomarica caerulea is a very large Neomarica, growing to 5 ft tall, but well
adapted to pot culture.  The flowering stems are erect, not drooping as in
N. gracilis etc., and the large, dusty-blue flowers are produced over a long
period.  Unlike other Neomaricas, this species is reluctant to produce
"pups" from the mature flowering stems, especially if seed is set.  This
past spring, attempted crosses with other Neomarica species failed, but the
caerulea plants did set seeds to their own pollen.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(434)223-6172
FAX (434)223-6374
email<wshear@email.hsc.edu>
Moderating e-lists:

"Time will soon destroy the works of famous painters and sculptors, but the
Indian arrowhead will balk his efforts and Eternity will have to come to his
aid.  They are not fossil bones, but, as it were, fossil thoughts, forever
reminding me of the mind that shaped them"  --Henry David Thoreau, Journals,
March 11, 1859.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!