Re: AIS: Awards

  • Subject: Re: AIS: Awards
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:11:10 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., Bill Shear <wshear@h...> wrote:
"I have heard Yaquina pronounced ya-KEE-nah and yockinaw, both by
supposed natives of the region. --Bill"

One thing about the names in the PNW...You sure can tell the long-
timers from the newcomers...just listen to how they pronounce
OREGON.  Easterners and newcomers do it in three syllables.  Old
timers, at least in the eastern part of the state do it in two.  Then
there's those who butcher BOISE, let alone YAKIMA and WALLULA.  I can
remember a lot of snickers....very polite, of course.

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!