Re: CAT: Remember that Bonus Irises are FREE

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CAT: Remember that Bonus Irises are FREE
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:11:30 -0400

On 8/28/01 12:24 PM, "Arnold Koekkoek" <koekkoek@mtcnet.net> wrote:

> Paul, I only want to comment, "Amen"!  The extras are gifts, and we really
> ought not to complain about a gift.  I'm always amazed that I get so much
> value for a small order, often catalog value far more than I paid.  And so
> many even ask what I'd like for extras.  Super bargain!!!!

Pondering pricing...Schreiners', for example, publish a relatively high per
rhizome price for their irises.  BUT if your order tops $80 list price, a
50% discount immediately kicks in, and your cost drops to $40.

If you shop for a given variety, you can find prices that range over a
factor of 3, depending on your dealing with a bigtime nursery or a mom-and
-pop operation in West Widget.

I would have to assume that bonus rhizomes are included in their costs by
the canny businessmen and women who run iris nurseries.  So are they REALLY
free?  If no bonus plants were distributed, would the costs of iris rhizomes
go down?

Not looking a gift rhizome down the fan, you understand, just curious about
the economics of it all......

Bill S.

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!