Re-threading: Crowding vs. transplant

  • Subject: Re-threading: Crowding vs. transplant
  • From: unionzone@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:11:21 -0000

(this is a repost to clarify thread)

I was getting booted off a computer a bit ago,
and didn't have time to be sure I was posting correctly.

Also have searched archives to some extent and see
little on the "growth/increase vs. diminishing returns"
curve from season to season...

 --refer me to archives if approp.

Some of my iris beds are getting dense, but in most I
can still see earth between rhizomes. Obviously, where
 I can't, I'll be lifting and dividing--sounds like I should trim
leaves slightly for balance between disturbed roots and
"leaf power".

In one location, though, they've only been two seasons.
I had very nice blooming = three or four stalks, 1-1/2 inches
in diameter (small trees!) with 8 - 14 blooms each--
GLORIOUS !! and with good increase this past season.
Their first season, there were maybe two or three blooms
on each of two or three stalks...

When is optimum to divide/replant ? compared to
the setback of the transplant shock?

When rhizomes get "overcrowded" do they produce little or
nothing? or do they trail off slowly?

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!