Re: AIS: Awards

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] AIS: Awards
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:34:16 -0500
On 28 Aug 01, at 13:27, Arnold Koekkoek wrote:

> I think I picked the right year to show YAQUINA BLUE back in late May.  I
> won Best of  Show with it, now YB gets the Dykes.  Is that good timing or
> what?   Do you think maybe I helped to impress a judge!?
> Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
> 38 7th Street, NE
> Sioux Center, IA 51250
> e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net

   Let's hope you didn't!

   Arnold, I am not trying to be catty with the above remark.  But,
the Dykes' Medal and other awards on the ballot are GARDEN awards and
are not SHOW awards.  This is hard for many people to understand,
and, I am sure, hard to enforce, but a judge should vote awards only
for irises he has seen growing in a GARDEN or he has personally
bloomed  for two years. Seeing something win in a show should have no
bearing on a judge's ballot vote.    SHOW awards are for Best
Specimen, Exhibition Certificate, Sweepstakes, Runner-up and ribbon
and rosette awards and these are for individual shows and do not
cover the AIS membership-at-large.  SHOW awards are awarded by the
vote of the jury panel at that individual show.  The GARDEN awards
are voted on by secret ballot by the active judges in AIS.  We have
just seen a partial list of the GARDEN awards.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!