Re: AIS: Awards

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] AIS: Awards
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:23:09 -0500

Walter, I know that the judges are supposed to vote the Dykes and other awards based on what they see in gardens.  I was just trying to provoke a smile somewhere, but I guess I didn't come across that way.   Sorry.    Since I happen to know these judges personally I doubt very much if the show had any influence whatsoever.  They are far too knowledgeable for that, and besides, I know they see lots of things growing in lots of gardens.   Come to think of it, though, they also saw Yaquina Blue growing in my garden on the Regional Tour, a week after our show, but by then there were no bloomstalks left on the plant so I can't claim to have any influence that way either.  The plant looked very good, but no bloom left by then.
P.S. I just planted Dante's Inferno this afternoon.  It's been in a pot for about a month, has a great root system and looks really healthy, so I'm eager to see what made it look like its name, hoping it really matches.

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net