CAT: Spring Hill, etc.

  • Subject: CAT: Spring Hill, etc.
  • From: "Nyla Null Hughes" <nylah@brick.net>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:44:01 -0500

Read in one of the recent garden magazines that the branch of the Japanese conglomerate that had bought Spring Hill, Gurney's, Henry Field, Stark Bros. I believe, and several others went bankrupt and they are all out of business.  Not likely to return.  Gurney's used to be a wonderful place to get vegetable seeds for varieties that were actually designed for home gardens-- taste as a priority instead of whether they all ripened on the same day.

Guess there are too many people like me who used to do vegetable gardens and fruit trees, and now just do irises!

Oh, and BANGLES (MTB, Lynda Miller 95) would indeed be worthy of a Dykes, and impresses me far more than most of the TBs on the prospect list in terms of garden value, growability, branching, bloom number, etc.  (But I do think CLARENCE is pretty great.)

Nyla Hughes in warm St. Louis Zone 6, where we just got a weensie rain when we needed an inch or so, and even though it's been a fairly wet summer, we're still 4-plus inches behind on rain for the year and my rebloomers...aren't.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!