Re: CULT: Jiffy Mix?

----- Original Message -----
  From: Adam Cordes
  Has anyone used Jiffy Mix for starting iris seedlings before?
   Is there any other pre-made mix I should look into before spending $30 on a
25# bag of Jiffy (shipping already included, thank goodness!)
Don't waste your money!
I am fine with "Farmer's Planter Mix", a very finely ground 100% organic mix
of composted "forest products", leaf mold, etc.  The formula seems to change
some years but the overall product remains about the same.  It is the best AND
cheapest product available out here at about $3 for a 2 cubic foot bag.  It is
intended as an amendment, but our soil is so bad I often use it straight, as I
do for seeds.  I do NOT like Kellog's products; they are too coarsely ground
and are too HOT from steer manure.  I hope you have a comparable product
locally.  Do NOT buy the overpriced houseplant and seed starter mixes at
hardware stores (although one locally does sell the Farmers products).  Check
stores with commercial building supplies, or large nurseries.  If the
amendment mix is finely ground, well composted, pH balanced (usually not
specified, unfortunately), and has little or no steer manure, it is probably a
good one.

John Reeds
San Juan Capistrano, CA (zone 9b)