Re: CULT: Jiffy Mix?

Hello Adam,
I agree with Griff and John; there are cheaper
alternatives. I tried mixing my own seed starting
blend (recipe called for peat moss / perlite / lime /
fertilizer) but it didn't seem to work well enough for
me. I got fairly poor growth and "damping off" fungus
on my vegetable seedlings. So, for several years now
I've just used Miracle-Gro potting soil from the local
hardware store or mart. I usually can find the big bag
(~2 cubic feet I think / I know it's pretty heavy) for
about $9 or $10. There may be something cheaper, but
it's been working so well that I'm reluctant to
experiment around now.
Food for thought: the best germination I've gotten yet
from iris seeds has been from the ones I planted
directly in the ground. It may not work in warmer
climates, but here in Maryland (Zone 6/7), Mother
Nature does a great job of stratifying the seeds. I
plant the seeds in the fall and in the spring gets
loads of seedlings.
Good luck to you, whatever you try, Tom
http://mail.yahoo.com