From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of thomas
silvers
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:42 AM
To: iris-talk
Subject: [iris] Borers

I finally got to see what the not-so-little
criminals
look like, after years of seeing their handywork.
saw three of the fat pinkish borers, while
transplanting some seedlings the other day; and
another one, while harvesting some seed pods --
what
was left of the rhizome, with borer still inside,
pulled out of the ground when I tried to break off
the
stalk. I can see why they'd gravitate towards
bigger
rhizomes and maybe avoid MTB's with small
rhizomes.
Geez they're big! I don't think they'd even fit in
some of the smaller MTB rhizomes I've seen.
I wish I hadn't left my camera at my in-laws --
I'd
show you lucky people in borer-less regions what
you've been missing out on.
On the bright side, I think I'm starting to see
trends
in what they really like and what they usually
ignore.
I'll be taking more note as I continue
transplanting.
protection around