Re: HYB:Borers

Hello Neil,
Even if it's about your iris "wasteland", it's still
great to hear from you. Glad that your feeling well
enough to join in.

You'd mentioned that you'd "seen it proposed that
those of us in borer country let the buggers have at
it in the seedlings, and breed from the survivors."

Although I still will coddle the occassional iris, for
the most part, I'm doing just what you mention. I've
never liked to use insecticides (or fungicides), and
always short on time, I definitely DO NOT keep a neat
and tidy garden. Needless to say (being in borer
country), I have always had significant losses to
borers. I don't expect most irises to be around for
more than a year or two without special attention
(digging and resetting the gnawed remains). I know it
sounds dismal, but on the other hand, it's a great
hybridizing opportunity. I'm very intrigued by irises
that don't seem to be bothered much. And if it weren't
for the heavy borer pressure, I'd never find out which
irises can resist them.

Take care (especially you - Neil)  ;o), Tom