Re: HYB:Borers

Neil  --  It's good to hear your "voice" again.  I, too, find that irises in
shaded areas or in unshaded areas near shrubbery, are more likely to have
borers.  Maybe the borer moth is lazy, hanging out in the shrubbery and
laying the eggs in the nearest plants.  I'm happy to report that I don't
have a major borer problem.  Up until this year, I have always sprayed with
Cygon in late February, when green growth is just beginning to show and
there often are a few scattered, balmy days.  This is when the eggs hatch, I
believe.  This year, instead of Cygon, I spread Merit on the plants.  After
digging scores of plants in May and early June to make room for new beds,  I
think I discovered only a couple of borers.  Then there was what I am
convinced was the "June hatch".  In mid to late June, I usually find some
borer damage, including miniscule borers, obviously just hatched.  I think
this, too, could be effectively minimized by spraying/spreading again in
late May or early June, but I don't like to do it when the plants are
blooming, so I don't.  This year, a June borer hit SILVER TRUMPETS, on which
I had a pod from BRAVE NEW WORLD --  and a really odd pod, at that.  It
looked like something from outer space, and I'll post a picture of it when
that last roll of the season is developed.  Anyhow, in what I find to be a
rare occurrence, the borer had attacked the bloomstalk rhizome, and I
couldn't salvage it without digging it. So I had to dug, cut the full stalk
and put it in a wine bottle with water.  It stayed green until 3 or 4 days
ago (i.e., about 6 weeks in the bottle).  This morning, there was mold on
the tip of the semi-shriveled pod, so I opened it and was delighted to find
39 seeds  --  30 of them nice and tan and the other 9 white, but probably
viable.

I have not noticed that any particular varieties are more susceptible to
borer attack than others.  And though borers can hit anywhere among the
plantings, I really think that, as far as patterns of frequency are
concerned, it's like the real estate agents say, "location, location,
location!"  And (this is for Tom Silvers) even though it's a chore, I think
prevention is a lesser task than dealing with the ravages of the critters
when a garden is left untreated.  --  Griff