Re: HYB:Borers

Griff wrote: "And though borers can hit anywhere among
the plantings, I really think that, as far as patterns
of frequency are concerned, it's like the real estate
agents say, 'location, location, location!'  And (this
is for Tom Silvers) even though it's a chore, I think
prevention is a lesser task than dealing with the
ravages of the critters when a garden is left

That's a good point. I would probably be a lot better
off with that ounce of prevention, rather than trying
to nurse the ravaged pieces back to blooming size
I still don't think I'm gonna spray anything, but as
far as tidying up in the fall and again in spring, I
really should at least do that.

There's a good article on borers at the Canadian Iris
Society site (here's the URL:
http://www.cdn-iris.ca/borer.html  ).

In case you don't want to read the whole thing, it

 "In our studies, eggs have been found pasted to
practically everything in the cages that had a
roughened surface-twigs, dead leaves, rusty nails,
cloth, bits of wood, and wire screen. Only in one
instance were any eggs laid on fresh green iris
"In fighting the iris borer a thorough clean up of the
garden late in the fall and again early in the spring
is most essential... Since egg clusters are glued to
dead leaves and other debris, all possible trash
should be removed and burned. Some growers have found
it effective to burn over their iris plantings late in
the fall or early in the spring."

Sounds like the consensus is (as Griff said), that a
little work might prevent a lot of later heartache.

Although, I have to admit, I'm still tempted to plant
all the "would-be-compost" seedlings, somewhere not
too close to the main plantings, and then encourage
the borers to run rampant among them. I wonder if any
resistant types would emerge from the carnage?