From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of thomas
silvers
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 1:43 PM
To: iris-talk
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB:Borers

Griff wrote: "And though borers can hit anywhere
among
the plantings, I really think that, as far as
patterns
of frequency are concerned, it's like the real
estate
agents say, 'location, location, location!'  And
(this
is for Tom Silvers) even though it's a chore, I
think prevention is a lesser task than dealing
with the ravages of the critters when a garden is
left untreated."

That's a good point. I would probably be a lot
better
off with that ounce of prevention, rather than
trying
to nurse the ravaged pieces back to blooming size
again.
I still don't think I'm gonna spray anything, but
as
far as tidying up in the fall and again in spring,
really should at least do that.

There's a good article on borers at the Canadian
Iris
Society site (here's the URL:
http://www.cdn-iris.ca/borer.html  ).

In case you don't want to read the whole thing, it
says...

 "In our studies, eggs have been found pasted to
practically everything in the cages that had a
roughened surface-twigs, dead leaves, rusty nails,
cloth, bits of wood, and wire screen. Only in one
instance were any eggs laid on fresh green iris
leaves."
"In fighting the iris borer a thorough clean up of
the
garden late in the fall and again early in the
spring
is most essential... Since egg clusters are glued
dead leaves and other debris, all possible trash
should be removed and burned. Some growers have
found
it effective to burn over their iris plantings
late in
the fall or early in the spring."

Sounds like the consensus is (as Griff said), that
little work might prevent a lot of later
heartache.

Although, I have to admit, I'm still tempted to
plant
all the "would-be-compost" seedlings, somewhere
not
too close to the main plantings, and then
encourage
the borers to run rampant among them. I wonder if
any
resistant types would emerge from the carnage?

Tom
protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com