From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of skyland
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:03 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] RE: Borers - My personal

Just thought I would add my two cents on borers,
for what its worth. I was
plagued for the past several years, even after
using the Merit granules
liberally sprinkled. However, this year I was
almost borer free (I think I
found about 8 all season, compared to probably
150+ last year). The only
thing different this year was that I sprayed
around and right on each
rhizome with the Imidacloprid (I also used the
granules). I think that the
granules can just sit there and not enough
dissolves and get into the
rhizome. I think in human terms its the same
difference between getting a
shot from a doctor and taking a pill.
I also noticed that borers prefer the periphery of
the iris bed, not the
center, although in my case, not necessarily near
the bushes.  You would
think they would be attracted to the heavier
concentrations of iris, but not
true. This leads me to believe the borer probably
need to leave the iris bed
(to mate in some exotic borer love ritual?) and
later return for egg laying.
Not being strong winged, they settle for the first
iris they find. As for
borer preferring large rhizomes, I am sure they
do, but I  don't think they
have the brains to go house-hunting, so to speak.
I have had whole clumps of
pardancanda (an irid with very small rhizomes)
totally devastated by borer.
They probably eat them like you would eat a bag of
popcorn. When ready to
pupate I think they can travel distances too. I
have found pupa in areas 10
feet away from the nearest iris rhizome. I also
think they prefer non pbf
iris, as they are less frequently attacked. At
Presby I have seen whole rows
of pbf iris spared and the next row full of
borer..so they definitely have
their preferences

To sign-off this list, send email to
majordomo@hort.net with the message text